Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Gardening as Re-wilding?

This week for my re-wilding practice, I will start to explore more action-oriented embodied responses to my alienated embeddedness in natural systems.  One of the most common circulating ideas about how to create a more socially and ecologically sustainable world is by growing one's own food.  I continually read and hear about urban gardens, Community Supported Agriculture, the Slow Food movement, and tons of other frames of reference about the central importance of gardening as a radical form of resistance to our abusive complicity in systems of power. 

From my ongoing practice in global interoception and imagining earthly biofeedback, it seems that my experience would confirm that gardening can eliminate many layers of dissociation in one of my activities, eating.  Yet, I admit, I find myself somewhat perplexed by this response to the complex crises of the world.  I have worked on many farms in my life and found great spiritual and relational benefit from it, though I continue to see it as a playful joy of my youth and somehow distinct from my serious adult activism (LOL).  Although it may help me to feel less alienation in my own life and reduce the degree of dissociation, how does it impact the dynamics of the global system as a whole?  I recognize that I shouldn't expect one action to resolve all the problems in the world, but gardening seems somehow dissonant, as if it's aimed in a direction that is not targeting the central problem.

I couldn't tell you what I mean by the central problem, nor what I would suggest for a better action, so I thought for my practice this week, I could try this out.  I'm on my way to Home Depot to get some soil and hopefully some seedlings to plant cherry-tomatoes in a pot which I will grow outside my apartment.  I hope to report back on the experience and attune to whether or not this action interacts with my visceral discomfort with the current state of the world.  I also hope to consider how being at Home Depot, a huge corporation, and patronizing its business impacts the process.




No comments:

Post a Comment